Helpful Links

mobileCommunity Calendar Broome A to Z Economic Development Community Calendar

Vital Records Information

Under New York State law, government and vital records such as; birth, marriage, death, probate and land deeds are the property of the municipality and should be housed in the respective government office that has control over them. These records were often created for one specific purpose, and the use in family history research may be incidental to that purpose. Therefore, there are often strict confidentiality laws and restrictions on their use.

In Broome County, as in most counties and areas of New York State, the birth, death and marriage records date back to 1881. They are on file with the clerk of the municipality where the event occurred (town, village or city). Probate records date to 1806 and are on file with the Surrogate's Court office, Broome County Courthouse, P.O. Box 1766, Binghamton, NY 13902. Land deeds, divorce decrees and an index to some naturalization records are on file at the Broome County Clerk's office. Many of these records date to 1806 or shortly before that date.

In New York State you can get a copy of your birth certificate by contacting the city, town or village where you were born. Alternately you can order certified copies of birth, death, marriage & divorce certificates by using VitalChek or the direct link for NY State Vital Records.

Not all certificates are available at all locations.

Replacing Lost Birth Certificates

We are often asked by our customers how to replace a lost Birth Certificate. We do not have and are not able to replace Birth Certificates at the County Clerk's Office. You must go to the Town or Village Clerk in the Town or Village where you were born to apply for a replacement Birth Certificate. In the City of Binghamton, please contact the Registrar of Vital Statistics, 38 Hawley Street, Binghamton by calling 607.772.7029 or by visiting the City website at In Johnson City contact the Village Clerk at 243 Main Street, Johnson City or call 607.798.7861 and in Endicott contact the Village Clerk at 1009 East Main Street, Endicott or call 607.757.5337. For people born in the City of New York, you must apply there. Please go to the City's website: to find instructions for telephone, fax, mail and internet applications.

In the event that visiting your hometown isn't possible, you may obtain a Birth Certificate directly from the New York State Department of Health via the website: or by calling 1.877.854.4481.

For Pennsylvania birth records please apply through the Pennsylvania Department of Health, Division of Vital Records at